By GALA Expert
May 27, 2023
Tips for hiring instrumentalists and ASL interpreters at Festival 2024.
Hiring Instrumentalists and ASL interpreters
As you are preparing for your Festival concert set be sure to review these tips.
- Keep instrumentation simple – better yet sing a cappella or with piano.
- Plan any instrumentation with the acoustics of your performance hall in mind.
- Be ready for unknowns in amplification and sound reinforcement.
- You may bring your own instrumentalists or contract with a Minneapolis instrumentalist manager who will contract union musicians. The basic cost for a union instrumentalist is $375 including your performance and up to 2 hours of rehearsal. Cartage fees are $35.
- A list of certified ASL interpreters will be available by March 2024
Remember you only have 15 min for your chorus tech and sound check – 10 min tech for ensembles – so make sure your set is simple enough that you can tech within this timing.
Rehearsal Space Rental
Your tech rehearsal on stage is not a space to rehearse for your performance since the time is so limited.
Choirs may book an optional rehearsal space in Minneapolis prior to your performance for $120 per hour. Rehearsal time may be reserved in 30-min blocks with a maximum of 3 hours. Your rehearsal space rental includes water service, piano or keyboard, chairs, and one music stand. Additional music stands and a drum kit may be requested. Reserve through the Integra app.