Thoughts from the Board on their GALA Service
“I have found board service rewarding. The board has taken bold steps to build stronger relationships, which is empowering and satisfying. I feel respected and feel that all our board members are given the time and opportunity to express their views and opinions.”
– Martin Brophy
“Serving on the GALA board has completely exceeded my expectations. I came on board with some skepticism as to the viability of the association, but the turnaround process has been a pleasure to be involved with and committed to. My service has been filled with highly satisfying opportunities both in terms of professional achievement and interpersonal relationships. I will be very sad to end my term and hope to continue to serve in whatever capacities the board finds appropriate and useful.” –
“I have loved serving on this Board and helping to move GALA Choruses through difficult times and beyond a difficult reputation. It has been fulfilling and engaging and many of the people I have met have become lasting friends.”
– Joann Usher
“My experience on the GALA Board has solidified my belief that AMAZING things can be accomplished in a short period of time when an organization’s Board and Staff share a common vision and work together to achieve their shared goals.
The opportunity for me to visit many of our member Choruses over the last six years has made it abundantly clear that we are more alike than different and we have so many similar experiences in our respective histories, regardless of the number of singers we put on stage or the numbers in front of the decimal points on the line items of our budgets. This similarity is the foundation of GALA.”
– Jeffrey Ayres, former president of the GALA Board of Directors
Abdullah Rasheen Hall
Finance Committee—Karen Lane, Chair
- Reviews of the annual operating plan for the corporation prior to its submission for full
- Reviews of monthly financial reports containing an analysis of actual vs. budgeted results
and a forecast of cash flows for the remainder of the year.
- Annually reviews the internal control and investment policies.
- Annually reviews the corporation’s annual financials with the auditors and of the Form 990
filing with the IRS.
- Annually reviews the corporation’s insurance program.
- Annually reviews the corporation’s banking and credit arrangements
Membership Committee—Chipper Dean and Tim Blanchard Modisette, Co-Chairs
- Oversees the process for supporting new member choruses and training existing members
on the use of GALA programs and services.
- Assists the recognition of member chorus anniversaries
- Oversee the process for obtaining and disseminating survey information to member
- Assists identifying options for support of transgender singers and youth
Education and Networking—Brayton Bollenbacher, Chair
- Oversees the annual leadership symposium and the manager’s and director’s retreat.
- Oversees the 411 program.
- Oversees the online member resources programs including webinars and podcasts, the
resource library and online chorus management educational materials.
External Relations—Steve Milloy, Chair
- Participates in the Global Alliance of Queer Choirs
- Oversees relationships with mainstream music organizations such as ACDA and Chorus America
- Oversees work with schools, universities and communities of faith
Resource Development Committee—Justin Fyala, Chair
- Provides oversight and assistance in the development of the annual individual donation
campaign which includes board contributions.
- Provides oversight and assistance in the development of the corporate sponsorship
- Provides oversight and assistance in the development of foundation relationships and grant
Festival Committee—Joe Nadeau and Kathleen Hansen, Co-Chairs
- Provides oversight of the planning and budgeting for the quadrennial Festival and critical
review of the final festival report.
- Assists in the development of a database of cities capable of hosting Festival.
Communications Committee—Miriam Davidson, Chair
- Assists in the development of strategies to keep the membership engaged via social
- Provides oversight of the development and maintenance of the organization’s web site.
- Assists in the creation of a strategy and plan for electronic communications.
Governance Committee—Michael McDonald, Chair
- Establishes a matrix of skills, geographic location and chorus type to guide the Board in
achieving an appropriate diversity of representation.
- Identifies individuals to recruit to the Board and make the appropriate contacts to determine
their interest in Board service.
- Prepares a slate of candidates for nomination to the Board.
- Coordinates the orientation of new Board member
New Harmony Taskforce—Maria-Elena Grant, Chair