Tucson Metropolitan Community Chorus, dba Desert Voices Chorus
Position: Artistic Director
Location: Tucson, AZ
Closing Date: September 21, 2021
Organization Website: Website
Type of Position: Part-time, contract salaried position. Flexible hours, evenings and weekends.
Salary and Benefits:
$1,000-$1,500 per month
Description of Position Duties:
1. Promote the Chorus’ focus on its mission
• Work with the Chorus, the Board, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organization.
• Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Chorus and to encourage collaboration.
2. Design, coordinate, and direct Chorus programming, in collaboration with the Music Committee (40%)
• Organize an annual performance schedule including subscription concerts, outreach concerts and tours.
• Organize a rehearsal schedule at the beginning of each concert year.
• Conduct voice checks of singers twice annually.
• Design each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists and visual elements.
• Identify and hire workshop presenters for vocal clinics and other workshops.
• Contract with technicians and musicians for each concert project.
• Serve as staff contact to Production Committee ensuring that technical needs, venue contracts, blocking, costuming, and staging details run smoothly.
• Audition, select and coach soloists and small group ensembles.
3. Manage administrative and artistic detail for outreach projects (25%)
• Manage communication, logistics and planning details for metro-area community performances.
• Manage planning, schedule, communication, host contacts and programming for Chorus outreach tours.
• Supervise volunteers coordinating travel, food and housing detail for tours and school outreach concerts.
• Network with metro area school administrators to promote Chorus school outreach.
• Manage planning, communication and programming for school concerts.
4. Provide supervision for music-related staff and volunteers (15%)
• Supervise the Accompanist.
• Identify, coach, and supervise the activities of Chorus section leaders, Assistant Director, Assistant Accompanist.
• Communicate regularly with section leaders regarding vocal issues, repertoire to cover in upcoming sectionals and other musical needs.
5. Facilitate the work of the Music Committee (10%)
• Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission. Research appropriate music for the upcoming season.
• Ensure that current season music is selected and purchased with the assistance of committee members.
• Communicate with the Accompanist regarding the rehearsal list, tempos and other performance details for recording rehearsal tracks.
• Secure new arrangements and performance rights where appropriate.
6. Development and Finances (5%)
• Write narrative as needed for concert projects, work with development staff to position grant focus, prepare grant budgets.
• Prepare annual budget in collaboration with the Board Treasurer.
• Must obtain prior board approval for expenditures over or outside the board approved budget.
7. Communicate regularly with the Chorus Board and other chorus leadership (5%)
• Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board.
• Attend and provide input for the annual Leadership retreat.
8. Participate in professional development
• Participate in professional organizations: American Choral Director’s Association, GALA, Chorus America, etc.
• Maintain and update professional competence by attending workshops, classes and conferences.
• Review new choral works and recordings; read professional journals.
• Attend concerts of other choral organizations.
9. Other duties assigned by the Board.
Description of Position Qualifications:
BA or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience.
Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission of the Chorus.
Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting.
Flexibility in working with a diverse group of volunteers and personalities.
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
An ability to work with current digital and social media.
Information Required to Apply:
Please send confidential inquiry and/or CV to office@DesertVoices.org no later than June 21, 2021.
Submit Information To:
email@example.com or DesertVoicesTucsonChorus@gmail.com.
“Desert Voices — Tucson’s premier LGBTQA chorus — announces search for Artistic Director”
Founded in 1988 as a non-profit arts organization, Desert Voices is an inclusive chorus organized to provide the opportunity for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight allies to come together in a safe environment and sing.
The Board of Desert Voices Chorus is conducting a nationwide search for Artistic Director. We are a 70-member, mixed-voice (SATB) chorus and will begin weekly Wednesday evening rehearsals on August 18, 2021. Please visit the Chorus website at www.DesertVoices.org for more information. Interested candidates may send confidential inquiry and/or CV to office@DesertVoices.org no later than June 21, 2021.
The Chorus looks forward to continued growth and success of its mission to foster community through song.