Palm Springs Gay Men’s Chorus
Position: Artistic Director
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Closing Date: May 15, 2021
Organization Website: Website
Type of Position: Part-time
Salary and Benefits:
Salary competitive based on experience. No benefits.
Description of Position Duties:
1. Promote the Chorus’ focus on its mission
• Work with the Chorus, the Board, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organization.
• Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Chorus and to encourage collaboration.
• Represent the Chorus in the public arena via traditional and social media.
• Work closely with the Chorus Leadership to ensure the success of all artistic projects.
2. Design, coordinate, and direct Chorus programming (40%)
• Organize an annual performance schedule of subscription concerts.
• Manage chorus communication, logistics and planning details for concert series.
• Evaluate all requests for outreach performances and tours.
• Organize a rehearsal schedule at the beginning of each concert year.
• Manage and oversee rehearsals and sectional.
• Conduct auditions twice annually.
• Design each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists and visual elements.
• Collaborate with the Marketing Committee to ensure the maximum success in promoting the chorus and concert season.
• Identify and hire presenters for vocal clinics and other workshops.
• Select technicians and musicians for each concert project.
• Ensure that technical needs, venue contracts, blocking, costuming, and staging details run smoothly.
• Audition, select and coach concert soloists, guest artists and small ensembles.
• Select and supervise the leaders of small group ensembles Bruce Kenyon’s The Arrangements and Gentlemen’s Agreement.
3. Manage administrative and artistic detail for outreach projects (25%)
• Manage planning, scheduling, chorus communication, host contacts and programming for chorus community outreach performances.
• Network with CV performing arts organizations to promote chorus outreach performances and collaboration.
• Network with CV school administrators to promote Chorus school outreach.
• Manage planning, communication and programming for school concerts.
4. Provide supervision for music-related staff and volunteers (15%)
• Supervise the Accompanist.
• Communicate with the Accompanist regarding the rehearsal list, tempos and other performance details.
• Communicate regularly with section leaders regarding vocal issues, repertoire to cover in upcoming section rehearsals and other musical needs.
5. Select and acquire choral music (10%)
• Facilitate the work of the Music Advisory Committee (MAC).
• Promote musical contributions of chorus members through MAC participation.
• Consult with MAC on series concert themes and music selections.
• Attend at least six (6) MAC meetings annually.
• Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission. Continuously determine concert themes for two upcoming seasons with the aid of MAC.
• Ensure that current season music is selected and purchased.
• Ensure the accessibility of music for all chorus members.
• Secure performance rights, licenses, and any permissions needed for printed and arranged music.
• Select and acquire music for standard repertoire.
6. Development and Finances (5%)
• Write narrative as needed for concert projects, work with development staff to position grant focus, and assist with preparation of grant budgets.
• Prepare annual production/artistic budget in collaboration with the Board Treasurer.
7. Communicate regularly with the Chorus Board and other chorus leadership (5%)
• Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board.
• Attend and provide input for the annual leadership retreat.
8. Participate in professional development
• Participate in professional organizations: American Choral Director’s Association, GALA, Chorus America, etc.
• Maintain and update professional competence by attending workshops, classes and conferences.
• Review new choral works and recordings; read professional journals.
• Attend concerts of other choral organizations.
Description of Position Qualifications:
BA or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience (minimum 5-6 years).
Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
Experience in producing choral shows.
Demonstrated track record in visionary artistic leadership.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission of the Chorus.
Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting.
Flexibility in working with a diverse group of singers, volunteers and board members.
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
An ability to work within electronic mediums: word processing, e-mail, internet.
Information Required to Apply:
Resume and Cover Letter, Include 3-5 references
Submit Information To:
Andrea Laguni – Search Committee Chair
Palm Springs Gay Men’s Chorus Mission
To be a chorus of gay men who, through musical excellence, community outreach and civic responsibility, are dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and educating the culturally diverse community in which we live.