Des Moines Gay Men’s Chorus
Position: Artistic Director & Conductor
Location: Des Moines, IA USA
Closing Date: May 1, 2021
Organization Website: Website
Type of Position: Artistic Director & Conductor
Salary and Benefits:
This is a part-time salaried independent contractor position.
Description of Position Duties:
The Des Moines Gay Men’s Chorus seeks an Artistic Director & Conductor who will lead the organization with careful attention to our mission, vision, and values. The successful candidate will possess formal musical training and experience commensurate with leading a group of TTBB choral singers. Our new leader must be able to reach and teach singers at all stages of musical knowledge. The selected candidate must have a working knowledge of the breadth and depth of choral music that results in exciting performance programming. The successor must be flexible (within reason) to facilitate the Chorus’ educational and outreach programming as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Select the repertoire and plan the concert season within the budget and guidelines approved by the Board of Directors. This includes conducting weekly full and sectional rehearsals, and coordinating section leaders, chorus small groups, outreach programs, and venues for performances and rehearsals.
• Select soloists, instrumentalists, and rehearsal accompanists within the budget.
• Negotiate and hire all auxiliary artistic personnel which may include orchestra members, accompanists, soloists, and non-member performers.
• Coordinate with Operations Manager and Marketing Committee on design of promotional materials.
• Explore and recommend artistic outreach opportunities in schools and the community.
Administrative & Financial
• Communicate on a regular basis with the Board of Directors and Chorus membership. Attend meetings of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Assist in the preparation of the annual budget of DMGMC.
• Collaborate with the Operations Manager on grant opportunities.
• Provide input and assist as necessary with the Board Committees.
• Develop in consultation with the Board of Directors a long-range vision for DMGMC, and work to establish and implement the multi-year strategic plan.
• Continually expand membership (recruitment) and build relationships with the LGBTQ community as a spokesperson for the Chorus.
• Develop and encourage strong relationships with other leading local and national arts and cultural organizations, such as GALA.
• Function and perform in conjunction with the overall mission and vision of DMGMC.
Description of Position Qualifications:
An advanced music degree is preferred but equivalent experience will be considered.
Information Required to Apply:
We invite all interested applications to submit the following materials:
• Cover letter
• Minimum of three references with contact information
• Please provide the search committee with a list of suggested repertoire for a DMGMC season. Note any instrumentation that would be relevant as well as any other points of interest. For this, you do not need to concern yourself with logistics (i.e., budgeting, performance space), but do keep in mind our three concerts:
o A winter/holiday concert, performed in December, comprised of generally more traditional works, befitting of the season, that reach an audience of all faiths (or no faith). This concert historically brings the largest audience and box office receipts.
o A spring concert, usually in March, which has traditionally had a social justice focus that shares the struggles and hopes of the LGBTQ+ community and our intersections with other marginalized groups. Some members have called this our “message concert.”
o A Pride Cabaret, performed in June to kick-off Pride Week, is a fully-produced (i.e., stage lighting, sound, instruments, costumes) concert comprised of solos, small groups, and full choral numbers. The repertoire ranges widely but usually offers an opportunity for audiences to see “a different side” of the Chorus.
• You are asked to provide brief videos of your rehearsals and performance. We appreciate receiving at least one of each (maximum four videos, please).
• You are invited to submit additional items (e.g., program copies, concert reviews, etc.) to showcase your work, as you wish.
Submit Information To:
Applications submitted by May 1, 2021, will be given priority consideration. Please submit questions and/or application materials as email attachments (PDFs for documents, please) to:
Paul Hengesteg, Search Committee Chair
Candidates will be selected for an initial interview with the search committee, likely via Zoom. Finalists will be invited to audition with the choir (with proper health and safety measures in place) when it can be safe to do so. Depending on changes with the pandemic, we hope to rehearse beginning in fall 2021 in preparation for our winter concert.
The Des Moines Gay Men’s Chorus is a community champion singing to promote harmony, ignite hearts, and move minds. Our purpose: we sing music that matters. Our vision: we envision a world where unconditional acceptance is woven into our common humanity. More information about DMGMC can be found at our website, www.dmgmc.org.
A complete Artistic Director Job Description is available on our website (www.dmcmc.org)