College of Saint Benedict / Saint John’s University
Position: Visiting Assistant Professor of Music
Location: St. Joseph, MN USA
Closing Date: January 31, 2021
Organization Website: Website
Type of Position: 3-Year Full-Time Term Appointment with potential for conversion to tenure-track
Salary and Benefits:
Description of Position Duties:
- Oversee and lead the choral program (consisting of both majors and non-majors).
- Conduct the Chamber Choir (SATB) and Men’s Choir (TTBB).
- Plan and execute choir tours, preparing choirs for other departmental collaborations.
- Establish a strong and creative recruitment plan for both the department and the colleges.
- Contribute to strengthening program-building efforts.
- Manage the budget for choirs.
- Maintain the choral library.
- Participate in scholarship auditions.
- Lead the artistic team for annual Christmas concerts – a combination of choirs and instrumental ensembles – with performances on campus and in Minneapolis.
- Expected course work includes choral techniques and choral literature. Additional teaching responsibilities may include topics based on the candidate’s expertise and the needs of the department.
- Stay informed of current issues relevant to choral music.
- Maintain an active presence and profile with state, regional, national, and international professional organizations, including ACDA, NAfME, MMTA, MMEA.
Description of Position Qualifications:
- Doctorate in choral conducting (ABD considered)
- Teaching experience
- Demonstrated excellence in choral pedagogy and instruction
- Strong commitment to recruiting
- Touring experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal relations skills
- Ability to build collaborative work relationships with colleagues and within the music community
- Ability to make contributions to departmental and general education course offerings
- Understanding of current issues relevant to choral music
- Demonstrated keyboard proficiency
- Demonstrated budgeting responsibility
- Ability to advise majors
Information Required to Apply:
1. Letter of Application
2. Statement of your teaching philosophy, including how you will support inclusion for all students in the classroom.
3. Evidence of teaching effectiveness, such as course evaluations, examples of learning outcomes, peer or student testimonials, or other materials.
4. Curriculum vitae
5. Names and contact information for three professional references
6. Unofficial copy of graduate school transcript(s); official copy required upon hire
7. Additional supporting materials (i.e. videos of rehearsals and performances, sample programs, sample syllabi) may be requested from applicants. Application materials will not be returned.
Submit Information To:
To view the full posting and apply online, visit: http://employment.csbsju.edu
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by December 1st.