Development Director Job Description
Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: 3/4 Time, Flexible
The Development Director is responsible for obtaining funds necessary to support the goals of the Heartland Men's Chorus. The DD functions collaboratively with HMC professional staff in a team approach that includes certain contractors providing staff level support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following, which may be performed personally or through volunteers. Other duties may be assigned by the Executive Director or the Development Committee.
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goals as established in the Chorus budget and by the Executive Director and/or Board.
- Attend (and lead?) regularly scheduled meetings of the Development Committee for planning, execution, and follow through on fundraising efforts.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, serve as the "fundraising face" of the Chorus at appropriate community events.
- INDIVIDUAL GIVING/DONOR CULTIVATION:
- Introduce, implement, and follow through on donor prospecting strategies with the Board and other Chorus leadership.
- Introduce, implement, and follow through on moves management program for existing donors.
- Evaluate solicitation strategies for the Annual Fund and other campaigns; recommend and implement changes (e.g. frequency of mailing, followup on lapsed donors, identifying and soliciting donors who have capacity to increase their support). Work with relevant personnel to develop and execute solicitations.
- Oversee execution of fundraising campaigns including the Annual Fund, Garden Party Sponsorship, and other event/concert-specific sponsor underwriting.
- Work with Event Chairs and volunteers to oversee planning and execution of Heartland Soul events.
- Develop and oversee planning and execution of new "friend-raising" events and other donor cultivation opportunities.
- Consult with the Dinner of Note team as an advisory member to ensure continuity between the event and overall development efforts, and to serve as a liaison between the group, other staff, and other committees as needed.
- Manage the Auctions sub-committee and oversee solicitation, followup and item acquisition.
- Interface with the Marketing department on production of event invitations and on fundraising aspects of multi-purpose communications such as website and QuarterNotes.
- CORPORATE GIVING
- Coordinate between Development, Marketing and other relevant parties to refine HMC's Corporate Sponsorship program.
- In consultation with HMC leadership, identify prospective sponsors.
- Build relationships with existing sponsors to retain, renew, and upgrade their support as appropriate.
- Work with Development committee and HMC leadership to identify prospects and strategies to attain corporate philanthropy.
- PLANNED GIVING
- Develop a program for planned giving (Legacy Society) to HMC.
- Plan a campaign for planned giving to be launched and carried out in the Chorus' 25th anniversary year (2010-2011 season) targeted at growth of the Heartland Men's Chorus Fund (endowment).
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with management staff, board members, committee members and volunteers to achieve outstanding results for an organization.
- Demonstrated experience within the funding community.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Finely developed interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication skills.
- Personal computer proficiency with a variety of programs, including database (Microsoft Access), spreadsheets, word processing and Internet.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter