BOARD OF DIRECTORS RESPONSIBILITIES
CHORUS Board is responsible, as the governing body of the organization, for the fulfillment of its mission and accountable for the organization’s operation. The responsibilities of the Board are as follows:
- Provide a vision of what the organization could be and serve as guardian of the mission and core values
- Clarify and maintain the organization's mission and purpose
- Define strategic directions
- Ensure comprehensive, effective long-range planning
- Ensure constituents’ needs are served and services provided which reflect the mission and direction
- Formulate and establish policies
- Appoint, advise, support, and evaluate the chief executive officer
- Oversee board standing committees and adhoc task groups
- Assess the board's performance
- Plan for board succession
- Ensure long-range financial stability
- Ensure resources are managed effectively and provide high quality programs
- Provide leadership and participate in fund raising initiatives
- Enhance the organization's public image
- Influence others to support the organization
- Actively support the organization in the community
INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
Each member of the CHORUS Board is responsible for the following:
- Understand and be committed to the mission, values and goals of the organization.
- Follow and understand trends in the industry.
- Ensure boards of directors’ responsibilities are achieved.
- Ensure accountability to constituencies in an ethical and business-like manner.
- Prepare for and attend monthly board meetings and annual retreats.
- Serve as an active committee member or corporate officer.
- Inspire and lead.
- Contribute to a sense of camaraderie and team work.
- Ask good questions, expect good answers and contribute to decision making.
- Serve as a resource in particular area of expertise.
- Support the organization with a financial contribution consistent with individual means.
- Support fund raising efforts by personally soliciting gifts, identifying and making connections with potential donors and/or providing leadership in fund raising initiatives.
- Link organization with community resources.
- Serve as a spokesperson.