One of the most important roles of an Artistic Director is to design concert programming. Every conductor has their own method for choosing repertoire but here are some questions to ask yourself in the process:
- Am I programming a single concert or creating a series of concerts that connect over a season?
- Will my singers be excited about this concert topic?
- Is the concert theme marketable?
- Does my chorus have the capacity to pull it if off?
- Is the theme compelling artistically: enjoyable to hear, technically engaging?
These questions (from a Strategy Screen) and more are included the programming resources below. Also check out the Resource section on Repertoire.