Artistic / Music Director
Description of Position Duties:
Out Loud Chorus, Washtenaw County's original mixed LGBT chorus, is hiring an Artistic/Music Director. This is a part-time, paid position. The chorus is a non-auditioned, community chorus comprised of singers of varying degrees of ability and experience. We produce two concerts per year--one in January and one in May. We rehearse on Monday evenings in Ann Arbor.
The choir has an active and supportive board that works in conjunction with the director to ensure the success of the performances. There are monthly board meetings that the director is expected to attend and rehearsal recordings must be done for the singers who do not read music. The power structure is different from that of most performing arts organizations, where the artistic director makes all decisions. In Out Loud, the director reports to the board and the board reports to the chorus as a whole. Decisions about music repertoire and concert production are made in conjunction with committees comprised of choristers and the director. More information is available on our website: olconline.org.
Description of Position Qualifications:
Key Skills and Education for a Successful Candidate
- Graduate degree in choral conducting with emphasis on vocal technique or commensurate experience
- Working with singers of significantly varying skill levels
- Direct instrumentalist and have the capacity to arrange parts for instrumentalist
- Flexible and open to new approaches to performing traditional music
- Exposure and understanding to the LGBT community and the need to value all people regardless of differences
- Clear communicator
- Non-profit organizational experience
- Provide artistic vision and input into grant proposals
A successful applicant will be subject to a detailed background check and references will be contacted.
Information Required to Apply:
Please supply resume, 2 to 3 references, videos and/or website information if applicable
The choir is planning on attending the 2020 GALA event. Any experience with GALA and performing at GALA is a plus.