Description of Position Duties:
- Creating a concert season, to include annual Fall, Valentines', Spring, and Pride Concerts:
- Prepare program order
- Select repertoire
- Select performance sites subject to budget constraints
- Select soloists, instrumentalists, and guest artists for performances.
- Work with member committees for each concert and show, with final approval in artistic matters
- Conduct all weekly rehearsals, auditions and performances
- Establish and maintain appropriate chorus etiquette and behavior during rehearsals and performances
- Appoint rehearsal and performance pianist
- Develop the musical skills and professionalism of the chorus, including annual assessments
- Attend and participate in monthly Artistic Advisory Committee meetings to organize artistic endeavors
- Attend and participate in monthly meetings of the Board of Directors, maintaining a thorough awareness of the organization's finances, preparing a yearly artistic budget, provide artistic statements for grants, and establishing a direction and strategies for attaining artistic goals.
- Maintain communication with chorus manager regarding scheduling, auditions, committees, and chorus membership
- Represent the chorus at fundraisers, community events and in the media.
Description of Position Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree in music AND 3 years' experience in choral conducting and performing, OR equivalent experience
- In-depth knowledge of musical theater, classical and modern vocal genres including queer music; basic choreography skills, knowledge of vocal training and technique
- Excellent/Professional piano skills
- The dynamic personality, energy, sense of humor and musicianship essential for leading a 2.5 - hour weekly rehearsal, developing themed concerts, cabarets, musicals and other forms of performance theater
- Experience and understanding of the LGBTQ community, including gender and trans competency
- Experience conducting mixed ensembles of all voice types.
- Organizational and leadership experience in producing concerts and cabarets, direct special events, and grant-seeking.
Information Required to Apply:
All candidates must supply a cover letter, a CV, and at the appropriate stage, impeccable references.
The Lesbian/Gay Chorus of San Francisco is an auditioned, 30-member chorus with members who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and allies. Singing continually for almost 40 years, we are one of the oldest out choruses in the world and a member of GALA Choruses. We perform 10 times a year; our repertoire ranges from classical to snarky, from political to sappy, and we frequently commission music from local, queer composers. We emphasize collaboration with other performing arts groups and a commitment to social and political justice. We seek a dynamic, talented community builder who takes musicianship and fun equally seriously to encourage our growth and lead us to new heights. We rehearse Thursday nights and have a 4 concert season. The job is part-time, projected at 30 hours a month, 12 months a year. Ideally, the position begins June 1st, 2017, although a different start date may be negotiated by the right candidate.