Salary and Benefits:
This is a PT, Independent Contractor position. Compensation is negotiable within a defined range as set by the Boards of Directors. No benefits are included.
Description of Position Duties:
- Desert Voices and Reveille Men's Chorus are jointly seeking an Artistic Director to work with the two Southern Arizona GALA Choruses.
- Promote the Chorus' Missions: Fostering Community Through Song and Changing Lives Through Music
- Work with the Choruses, the Boards of Directors, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organizations and throughout the world in communities touched by the two choruses
- Network with other arts organizations, music directors and community groups toincrease the visibility of the Choruses and to encourage collaboration
- Provide vision and artistic leadership for each concert season for each chorus, including
- Developing themes for a winter holiday concert and a spring concert, integrating outreach ensembles, soloists, ensembles, guest artists, musicians, and speakers as is appropriate to the theme.
- Design each concert performance, making musical selections, auditioning and coaching any solo or ensemble performances, and overseeing any non-musical thematic elements ( scenes, personal testimonies, visual elements, etc.)
- Organize a rehearsal schedule at the beginning of each concert year based on the above concerts, as well as a spring fundraiser; the schedule also traditionally includes a fall and spring Chorus retreat for each group.
- Develop musical sets for outreach performances that utilize both choruses and small group ensembles as appropriate
- Contact and supervise technicians and musicians for each concert project for each group
- Serve as staff contact to the Music Performance Committee, ensuring that technical needs, venue contracts, blocking, costuming, and staging details run smoothly for each group
- Write narrative as needed for concert projects, work with development staff to position grant focus, prepare grant budgets
- Manage planning, schedule, communication, host contacts and programming for Chorus outreach events.
- Assist in recruitment, including networking with area school choral directors to promote Choruses for graduating seniors
- Supervise the Accompanist
- Identify, coach, and supervise the activities of Chorus section leaders, Assistant Director, and any other music staff or volunteers
- Communicate regularly with section leaders regarding vocal issues, repertoire to cover in upcoming sectionals and other musical needs
- Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board
- Attend and provide input for the annual Leadership retreat
- Provide input to the Finance Committee to develop annual budgets
- Work directly with Board Committees that directly affect the membership and performances
- Represent the choruses in professional organizations as deemed appropriate by the Board
- Review new choral works and recordings; read professional journals
- Attend concerts of other choral groups and musical events in the community
Description of Position Qualifications:
- Broad knowledge of music, including traditional and vernacular styles
- In-depth knowledge of musical theater, classical and modern vocal genres including queer music;
- Basic choreography skills,
- Knowledge of vocal training and technique
- The dynamic personality, energy, sense of humor and musicianship essential for leading a two 3-hour, weekly rehearsals, developing themed concerts, cabarets, musicals and other forms of performance theater
- Experience and understanding of the LGBTQ community, including gender and trans competency
- Experience conducting mixed ensembles of all voice types and experience levels
- BA or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience
- Interest in and commitment to the missions of the Choruses
- Basic piano skills
- Knowledge of all voice types and ability to teach any part as well as offering instruction in correct vocal technique
Information Required to Apply:
Cover Letter with salary requirements
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
List of works that have been conducted in performance over the past 12 months and that are under preparation
List of at least three references that includes email addresses and phone numbers
At a future stage of the process, we will also request from applicants:
A DVD or link to a video that includes the applicant conducting a 10 - 15 minute segment of a recent rehearsal and a 10 - 15 minute segment of a recent performance with a choral ensemble
Review of Applications will begin on May 1, 2017.
The Desert Voices Chorus and Reveille Men's Chorus are an auditioned, 60+ members each with members totaling 120, who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and allies. Singing continually for almost 30 and 25 years. Our repertoire ranges from classical choral to jazz, Broadway and pop. We seek a dynamic, talented community builder who takes musicianship and fun equally serious to encourage our growth and lead us to new heights. We rehearse Monday (Reveille Men's Chorus) and Wednesday (Desert Voices Mixed Chorus) nights for 3 hours each rehearsal and have 3 concerts for each chorus with several outreaches per season. The job is part-time, projected at 24-30 hours a month of rehearsal time plus concert research and production design, score and rehearsal preparation, supervision of small ensembles, and various community functions 12 months a year. Total time commitment is expected to be approximately 1/2 to 3/4 FTE. Ideally, the position begins July 1st. 2017.