BOARD OF DIRECTORS RESPONSIBILITIES
CHORUS Board is responsible, as the governing body of the organization, for the fulfillment of its mission and accountable for the organizationâ€™s operation. The responsibilities of the Board are as follows:
- Provide a vision of what the organization could be and serve as guardian of the mission and core values
- Clarify and maintain the organization's mission and purpose
- Define strategic directions
- Ensure comprehensive, effective long-range planning
- Ensure constituentsâ€™ needs are served and services provided which reflect the mission and direction
- Formulate and establish policies
- Appoint, advise, support, and evaluate the chief executive officer
- Oversee board standing committees and adhoc task groups
- Assess the board's performance
- Plan for board succession
- Ensure long-range financial stability
- Ensure resources are managed effectively and provide high quality programs
- Provide leadership and participate in fund raising initiatives
- Enhance the organization's public image
- Influence others to support the organization
- Actively support the organization in the community
INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
Each member of the CHORUS Board is responsible for the following:
- Understand and be committed to the mission, values and goals of the organization.
- Follow and understand trends in the industry.
- Ensure boards of directorsâ€™ responsibilities are achieved.
- Ensure accountability to constituencies in an ethical and business-like manner.
- Prepare for and attend monthly board meetings and annual retreats.
- Serve as an active committee member or corporate officer.
- Inspire and lead.
- Contribute to a sense of camaraderie and team work.
- Ask good questions, expect good answers and contribute to decision making.
- Serve as a resource in particular area of expertise.
- Support the organization with a financial contribution consistent with individual means.
- Support fund raising efforts by personally soliciting gifts, identifying and making connections with potential donors and/or providing leadership in fund raising initiatives.
- Link organization with community resources.
- Serve as a spokesperson.